The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Sunday, July 14, 2013

At the end of Week 2 of the Tour de Fleece/France, I have spun the pound of wool. I can't believe I found the time to spin the whole thing! Now the plying begins. Here is skein 3 and, with any luck, I'll have skein 4 later tonight. (Although, it seems to me, Mystery has the Inspector Morse prequel series Endeavor on tonight....)

I think I am getting better. I would like to achieve a kind of consistency and not spin yards and yards of art yarn. My spinning teacher tries to discourage me from spinning or yearning to produce perfectly spun singles. And I agree with her philosophy, in general, that hand spun should celebrate the qualities of human endeavor, which is imperfection. We are not machines, but I would like fewer sections that look like thread next to fat, untwisted roving. Despite what everyone says, it does not all even out in the plying. I seem to match the fat sections with fat and the thread with thread.

The other bit of good progress has been with the sprinting project on the little Jenkins drop spindle. Happily, my singles are looking much more uniform in their imperfection.  I spun all of the onion skin dyed roving and have started on the Brazil wood ounce. I think it will make a nice 2-color, 2-ply yarn when completed at the end of next week when the Tour challenge ends!

How will I keep motivated when I don't have France to spin for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home