The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Sunday, June 30, 2013

le Tour de Fleece

Shetland wool from Paradise Fibers
Day 1 and 2

I finally signed up for le Tour before it was over! While the men cycled away in Corsica hot and sweaty in the sun, I spun in the sweltering heat of my house since the power died  and the air conditioner cut out. Why did I think it was a great challenge/idea to spin and then ply a pound of Shetland wool? Well, a small hurdle, all in all, I suppose. It's not like I have to pedal up a mountain once ... or twice. Although keeping a constant treadling speed is a problem for me.

Per my spinning teacher's advice, the pound or roving has been broken up into one-ounce units. It's a handy way of knowing how much wool one is working with when dyeing or spinning.

I didn't get an early start yesterday and have a lot to make up for on Day Two!

2 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...your handspun looks great! If it weren't for the loom, and the sewing machines taking up real estate here, I'd consider adding a wheel. LOL.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger CatKnits said...

Thanks! I made the picture blurry by design. It does look great at a distance. Ha! Yes, I understand: I put the sewing machine under the sideboard in the dining room and the loom is pressed up against a corner of the living room near the cat's scratching post. We have to tuck in our tummies and walk sideways to get past the spinning wheel and the couch. LOL, indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home