The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Sunday, May 19, 2013

It's a new spring....

After a long winter where we rotated illnesses and colds among ourselves at work,  it's finally spring. As my Tai Chi instructor says, yang is expanding and so is our tendency to do and do and do ....

Went to Lamb Day at Windrush Farms to see the babies. Yes, indeed, lots of lambs!  Their mothers were already teaching them about the benefits of whole wheat bread and how to avoid the shearer.  Run Away when you hear that buzzing sound ... even when there's bread!  It was a full, day-long event learning about sheep, wool, shearing, skirting, carding, spinning, and knitting.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay for it all, but signed up to take their series of spinning classes. Yeah!

On Mothers' Day, I was back at the Farm to learn about spinning on the wheel I so impulsively purchased a white back. I thought it would be a small class, but it was rather large and not all of the students showed up! Still, it was fun and we all learned a lot. I am finally starting to see (feel?) the relationship between treadling (foot pedal action) and drafting. Have a long, long way to go. Oddly, when I draft skinny yarn, it all seems to go well, but the instructor wants me to make fat, chunky size yarn. I suppose I must learn how to do that, too. Won't horrify you, Dear Reader, with a visual of the kinky mess that I on my bobbin now. Sigh!

Lots of homework to do (and do and do...) now. And another class in two weeks.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your spinning class sounds like such fun and the site is certainly inspiring. Congrats on the new wheel.

I still haven't gotten back to practicing with my spindle. I have come to the conclusion that if I wait until my wips are finished, I never will. :)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger CatKnits said...

Spinning class was fun and so helpful! One really has to learn by doing, but it helps to be in the company of other beginners and two excellent teachers. They are both commercial spinners and knitters. I love my drop spindles best but I try not to let the wheel know it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home