The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Friday, December 07, 2007

Tree Trimming Howard's Way

Thank you everyone for your kind words and condolences. Learning to get on in life without a beloved family member is a long and tangled process. As we near the Holidays, it's hard not to think of Howard and the way he influenced our lives. For instance, he taught us how to decorate our tree. The first year, he broke the glass ornaments that were within his reach. Of course. I learned to hang the quilted stockings and needlepointed angels on the lowest branches. One year, he ate the plaited straw ornaments that my husband and I got for our first Christmas together. Any remaining ornaments made of straw or grass remained wrapped and safe in the ornament box. The little wooden birds in their nest were once found down the hallway a long way from the tree. After that, the nest was always hung near the top. I suppose, I was grateful that he never tried to climb the tree or gnaw on the electrical cords. And, there was that one year when it snowed and I got a beautiful shot of Howard in snow. White on white: it was definitely Christmas card material. But I digress.... After all these years of trimming the tree to Howard's specifications, this year--our first Christmas without him--I will hang the stockings and angels and plush animals on the lowest branches. The largest ornaments will be on the largest branches at the bottom and the smaller and more delicate pieces will be at the top. Cat logic? We're doing it Howard's way again.

2 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Bridget said...

I'm sure that Howard is in heaven, purring that you are still doing it the "right" way ...

Our Abigail died in April from the same thing, and she was my decorating helper, so it's been kind of tough getting everything out this year.

Hope you have a happy Christmas, knowing that Howard approves!

:-)

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Mistrmi said...

Lovely post. I think continuing your decorating tradition is the best thing you can do. I may even re-place a couple of our ornaments in Howard's memory. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home