The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

From Boas to Bibs

I picked up several balls of Sugar and Cream cotton yarn at a recent sale and decided to make bibs for babies. Here are the first samples being matched to buttons. More on that later....

The basic bib pattern is from Mason Dixon Knitting. So gauge "doesn't really matter?" I knitted up a Godzilla-sized bib. I was using US6 needles which seemed to be a good size, so I cast on fewer stitches until I got to the approximate finished size (6-1/2" x 11-1/2"). Well, if I could vary the number of cast on stitches, what else could I do? I picked up Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge and looked at borders. Leaves and berries eventually became carrots and peas, and the scalloped edging suggested ocean waves to me.

Unfortunately, trying to match bibs with buttons that carry through on the theme is a much more difficult task than knitting to gauge. With all the wonderful buttons out there, I haven't found any that can pass for green peas. The boats and the carrot buttons (Yes, hand painted carrots!) were too small.

Well, I guess, I'll have to keep on shopping....

1 Comments:

At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your bibs Jo. The added edging really makes them special, and that fringe (?) on the orange one is great.

Buttons are a problem. I picked up some cute ones at Joann's but not really what I was looking for. I bet if you google button you get a gazillion hits, huh? Might have to try it, there must be sources for unique buttons out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home