The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Year of the Boa

I got Sirdar's Loopa a while ago, but didn't try it until recently. I guess I just really enjoy knitting and had been making loops by winding the yarn around fingers or my hand. But, when I tried to duplicate last winter's loopy boa scarves with my usual methods, I was less than successful. Then I remembered that I had the "tool." What a difference it makes! It's not knitting, but I can make loopy boas in a short period of time, although not in an hour like the brochure claims.

Well, let me back track a little. To make the boa, one winds the yarn(s) around the ends of the tool. After winding two loop ends, the yarn is secured in the middle with a chain stitch. When the Loopa is loaded with the chained yarn, it is further secured by back stitching up the center. Unfortunately, it is still possible for strands (that evaded the back stiching) to be pulled out of the center. I found it was best to examine each pair of loops and tack them to the chain if they were loose. This takes much longer than an hour, but will ensure a more stable boa. (For some reason, they tend to catch on things.) Even if a loop does get pulled out, it's not a tragedy. Find the center of the pulled loop and tack it in to the center seam.


Chunkier yarn is more likely be secured by the chain and hand stitching. Although, I found a few loose strands of Wool-Ease Thick & Quick that had to be tacked down later. Lion Chenille was also tricky to handle. It appears to be "thick", but can fray and shed down to the thin little threads at the core. If anyone gives you a boa made of eye lash, nominate them for sainthood! It was, by far, the most difficult yarn to secure. I've had fun with the boas. It has been a learning experience, but now I have a new technique to use up yarns in my stash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home