The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Natural Inspiration


The weather has been so beautiful lately and I've been taking snap shots around the neighborhood. When I drew and painted, the pictures were reference materials. Now that I knit, I've been trying to find ways to incorporate Nature and the environment into my knitting. I suppose, my stumbling block has been my literalness. (For instance, I've just about given up the idea of knitting with branches, but not quite.)

Well, the bittersweet moment arrived--a co-worker gave her two-week notice and announced that she was moving back to the Midwest--and I finally heard the Muse, who had been screaming at me for months to do something with my cloud pictures. I had been looking at the photos and had even e-mailed them to friends. So here is the result: the Cloudy Blue Scarf. I knitted it with one skein of Patons Divine (Denim Storm, no less!) in a simple lace pattern: P1, yo, p2tog.

My friend and I will always be under the same blue sky and my scarf will keep her warm should it be a stormy day.

Never satisfied, the muse urges me to keep experimenting. Perhaps, something less representational next time.

Perhaps, not....

2 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cloud photograph is amazing. I think you captured the photo in yarn perfectly.

Sorry to hear your friend is moving. You seem to have a lot of changes going on in your life. I know this is tough but I also believe that 'as one door closes, another one opens' (something like that). My thoughts are with you.

By the way, your scarf is lovely, but why P1, yo, p2tog instead of k1, yo, k2tog? Just curious.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger CatKnits said...

Thanks for the encouragement. As for the scarf pattern.... Oh, silly me. When I was looking for a pattern, I liked the look of the sample in my knitting stitches book. It wasn't until I was some ways into the knitting of the scarf that I wondered why I was purling, when I could have been knitting. DOH! Live and learn, as my prof used to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home