The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Friday, August 07, 2009

Lazarus was a Girl!

A few weeks ago, while I was enjoying my first cup of coffee of the day, there was this mushy-thud sound. I thought the cats had knocked the portable fan over, but it turned out to be a bird. Poor little guy was still breathing, but his eyes were closed. I didn't want to leave him outside on the deck. It was still foggy and very cold. So I wrapped him up in a towel, put him in a little box, and left him in the bathroom, which was dark and warm and not accessible to cats. I really didn't think he was going to make it. About a half-hour later, when I went to check on him, he was out of the towel and sitting in the box. Well, this was unexpected. I didn't want him flying around the room. So I got ... the cat carrier. (Sorry!) After lunch, he was really making a fuss in there. (Can we blame him?) Fearing that he would hurt himself, we took the carrier outside and opened the door. A few seconds later he shot out of it and flew up into a tree. So I called him Lazarus ... until I finally got a chance to look into my bird book. I'm not an expert, but I think "Lazarus" was a girl black headed grosbeak. Hope she continues to fly high and away from houses.

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Bridget said...

And what a pretty girl! We had the same experience with a little sparrow here last summer. I like to think he's still bopping around.

Good for you. :-)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Mistrmi said...

And you saved her go raise her own little family. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home