The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Monday, July 13, 2009

Grafting Lace

I struggle with the notion of symmetry. If a scarf--my favorite project to knit--has an obvious repeating pattern, to my eye, it looks better if the ends are approximately the same. I've been advised to block both ends until they look alike, but there is a fair amount of distortion to one end and I'm never sure how permanent the block will be. So I was quite pleased to see that others on the web had tried to graft a lace scarf at center. Well, here's my freshman attempt at it. Actually, I redid it plenty. It is a lace pattern with one row of knit between the fancy yarn overs and knit-2-togethers. Not ideal. I was wondering if feather-and-fan would work better since there are more knitted rows, but I think the distortion will still be there. In any case, I will definitely try this method next: knit the last row with a similar weight yarn but in a different color. Then when grafting, follow that yarn when weaving the two ends together. It has been discussed on several sites and those knitters were pleased with the results. I also found that tension is crucial, and I had some problems by grafting "cold." Although I was able to adjust the stitches manually. And, perhaps, this will look a whole lot better once I block the scarf. Let's hope so....

1 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Mistrmi said...

Grafting lace has always eluded me. I really must practice more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home