The Cat Knits...

A singular forum to discuss knitting as craft, therapy, and way of life (with or without the benefit of cats).

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

2012 Special Olympics Scarves

I first heard the call for donations of hand knitted (or crocheted) scarves for the Special Olympics in 2009. The Special Olympics Winter World Games were going to be held in Boise, Idaho and the organizers need 5,000 scarves to give to the athletes. They got 60,000! Every state in the US and 12 countries sent in donations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oHNoWJ0YmA Coats & Clark sponsored effort and donated skeins of yarn in delft blue and white for volunteers to knit or crochet scarves.

Apparently, in 2011, they received 26,000 scarves. I didn't hear about that campaign, although I looked. Alas, in all the wrong places.

For the 2012 USA Games, Special Olympics is continuing the tradition of seeking scarf donations. Red Heart Yarn has 4 choices in the official colors of red and navy. Complete project guidelines and patterns are available at: http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/states There are many state programs with specific delivery deadlines listed on the guidelines page. But, being me, I'm a rogue with no state! (And I have two location possibilities of the state I live in and the state my cousin lives in.) My scarf, made in honor of my cousin Carol who has Downs, is already underway.

I used their pattern: 10 rows of stockinette broken with 4 rows of a lace (11/13: *yo, K2tog, repeat. 12/14: *yo, P2tog, repeat). Finished size: 6"x 60"

Consider participating!



2 Comments:

At 4:45 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I sent scarves previously; it's a great feeling of accomplishment and involvement!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger CatKnits said...

Yes! This year things are decentralized and I have to pick a participating state to send the scarf to. It's a little less personal now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home